A day in a prison in Seville II

27.12.2010, 10:17 Uhr von:  Redaktion
Lesezeit: ca. 7 Minuten

Here is the second report from a person that got arrested in Seville. We publish these reports because it is important to us to document these incredible events that took place right in the centre of the European Union. As reports from Fans of other clubs show, the treatment of the Borussen was no singular event. We thank all the victims that reported these events to us on such a short notice.

On Wednesday the 16th of December I went together with some friends to the meeting point of the BVB supporters in Seville. At around 7 p.m. I started to proceed to the stadium together with some more BVB supporters. At the beginning of the march the atmosphere was very peaceful. The closer we got to the stadium the more aggressive the Spanish police behaved. Without any obvious reason BVB supporters were hit with batons or separated from the group. I cannot comment on the further events because it seems that I got knocked out and was unconscious for a little while. The first thing I can remember after that is that I was bleeding heavily and was arrested on my knees inside the stadium. A non-uniformed cop from Dortmund came to talk to me, but was sent away by the Spanish police. The only information I got was that I allegedly threw a can on the Spanish policemen and that the German policeman could not help me in any way. After a few minutes I was taken to a doctor inside the stadium, who provisionally treated my heavily bleeding head wound with a plaster.

Afterwards I was taken to a police station to record my personal data. Furthermore my fingerprints were taken. Later on a translator joined us. Together with the translator I had to sign some papers. I claimed that my head wound had to be treated properly by a doctor immediately but instead I was taken to a single cell. Inside the cell I was provided with a mat and blanket. I did not get anything to eat or drink for the whole time. My upper arm was in heavy pain and especially my head hurt a lot, but I had to spend the night inside the dark cell without any bed or toilet. The next morning at 9 a.m. two policemen took me to a doctor’s office close by. I was in handcuffs all the time when the doctor treated my head wound with three stitches. Back at the police post my fingerprints were taken again, I was measured and they took pictures of me. Then they took me back to my single cell. That cell was inhumane.

At noon I got taken to court together with an elderly Bosnian BVB supporter. They put us into a cell together. We did not get anything to drink there too and only late in the afternoon we got a little bit to eat. A little while later I met with a lawyer and another translator. I was told that I disturbed the public order and resisted the Spanish police. The lawyer and the translator told me, that I would be sentenced to 18 months probation and a fine of 180 € (30 daily rates). I was told that if I made a confession, the sentence would be reduced to 12 months probation and a fine of 120 € (20 daily rates). I agreed to that right away, because I wanted to get out of the arrest as soon as possible, even though I do not know that I did anything wrong. Because the judge responsible had left the building 5 minutes earlier, I was held arrested for another 4 hours. Before I was promised, that they let me out around 1:30 p.m. so I could catch my flight back from Malaga to Frankfurt-Hahn. In the end it was 6 p.m., when I got out of the cell.

In front of the court building our BVB fan-commissioner Jens Volke waited for me. I immediately went to an internet café to book another flight back from Seville. In the end I got to fly out of Seville to Palma de Mallorca on Friday morning at 9:20 a.m. and from there with a 5 hour delay to Frankfurt-Hahn. After my arrival at Frankfurt I went directly to a hospital where they x-rayed my upper arm and cleaned my head wound.

From my point of view the behaviour of the Spanish police was inacceptable. The police operation was absolutely excessive. They hit peaceful Dortmund supporters with batons for no reason. The arrest conditions at the police station and at the court building were inhumane. I cannot find proper words to describe the treatment by the police. Even though I asked for it many times I was not provided with anything to eat or drink. The worst to me was the night alone in the dark cell without any sense of time or any information about what was going to happen to me. You were constantly insulted by the policemen and hardly any of them spoke English so no communication was possible with them. Meiner Einschätzung nach kann man das Verhalten der spanischen Polizei so nicht hinnehmen.
At this point I would like to thank the representatives of Borussia Dortmund and especially our fan commissioner Jens Volke for the on-site support.

Finally I would like to mention that I travel to football matches on a regular basis for 15 years now and have seen matches in more than 40 countries. Over all these years I have never experienced such an excessive police operation.

• Left eyebrow had to be treated with 3 stitches
• Lots of bruises at the head, heavy headache
• Heavy bruise on the right upper arm
• Numbness in right thumb
• Scrape on right knee

T. 27.12.2010 (Person known to the editors)

Guest authors express only their own opinions which mus not necessarily correspond to the views of the editors of

translated by web

Editors, 27.12.2010


Unterstütze uns mit steady

Weitere Artikel